Anki's Vector
Table of Contents
Initial Launch and Follow Up
The app was launched in October 2018 along with the physical product. Due to time constraints, prioritization, and a number of other reasons the scope of the app had to be reduced from the initial UX design. We moved quickly to test and verify a new MVP. The app was functional and looked polished, but I felt that it could be vastly improved. 

I began exploration of a redesign. I wanted a fast turnaround for the new app layout, so I chose not to add new features or app functionality. I focused on find-ability of content and app browse-ability. I surfaced content that previously had been two to three taps below the surface. I always placed an evergreen “What’s New” section on the front page to guide users to new and noteworthy content.

I presented a prototype of my new design at Anki’s R&D Fair. Working with User Research, we set up a small but fun test to compare and contrast the new and old apps. Response was extremely positive. Product and I set out to design a road map for the new year to test and begin creation.
The results of our User Testing
Testing, Research, & Implementation
Using my prototype, we put the app in front of first time users. 

I then worked closely with the UI Artist and Dev Team to ensure full understanding of the new design. After reading my documentation, the app devs were on board.

I dedicated time to add in new strings, images, and adjusted all the layouts in XCode and Android Studio. It was important that I wear many hats and use my technical capabilities so our App Developers could push harder on the larger app structure problems.
Some of Seth Forester’s, the UI Art Lead, final mock ups
Back to Top